Barley Risotto with Duck Sausages
Our barley risotto, served with duck sausages, is hearty enough for a one dish main course on the coldest night of the year.
Double the recipe to serve eight. You’ll all be enchanted.
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil***
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed carrots, onions, and celery
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ½ cup dry white wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 11/2 oz Glace de Canard Gold® ( More Than Gourmet Duck Stock)+ 5 cups water, heated to a boil***
- ½ cup+ grated imported Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs minced fresh sage leaves + extra leaves to garnish
- 4–8 duck sausages, heated until hot
- Heat oil in a large casserole over medium-high heat. Sauté carrots, onions, and celery until wilted and lightly colored, 5 minutes.
- Stir in barley and cook for 1 minute. Add wine, salt and pepper, and boil until wine evaporates.
- Lower heat to medium, stir in ½ cup diluted hot Glace de Canard Gold®, and cook until liquid has almost evaporated, stirring often.
- Continue adding hot stock by ½-cupfuls as the previous liquid is incorporated, stirring often, until the barley is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and sage leaves, taste to adjust flavorings, and ladle into 4 wide bowls.
- Top with sausages, add sage leaves, and serve.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.