Best Barbecue Sauce
A premier reduction sauce made from the bones of veal and beef, water, seasonings, and wine.
They like to cook their sauces in the French classic method.
In case you are not familiar with the term reduction, it is a process of roasting and cooking of bones and other ingredients usually for 24 hours.
One taste and you can tell the difference! Besides, when you read the ingredients, you’ll know the quality is in the sauce.
picture byJohn Liu
Because we sell the entire More Than Gourmet product line of demi glace and stock on clubsauce.com, we asked if we could use or adapt some of their recipes using their products.
Here is a recipe we’re calling the Best Barbecue Sauce.
As with many recipes, follow the ingredients and the steps to create the sauce.
Once it is complete, it is easy to adjust with a touch more heat like cayenne pepper or make a little sweeter with a pinch more sugar. These are easy changes to fit your own palate.
- 1.5 oz More Than Gourmet demi glace
- ¾ cups water
- 2 tbs. canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 6 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 tbs Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ¼ cayenne pepper or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a simmer and whisk in the More Than Gourmet demi glace gold until completely disolved.
- In a separate saucepan heat the oil and add the garlic and onion. Cook until onions are slightly translucent and soft.
- Add the demi glace and remaining ingredients to the saucepan and blend them together over a low heat. Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste the sauce and adjust the flavor with salt, pepper, or more cayenne.
- The sauce can be made ahead of time and can even be refrigerated for several days before using. The flavors have a greater tendency to meld for deeper flavor.
Now as much as I like making my own sauces, I have to admit, sometimes time just seems to get away from me.
My secret quick tip?
I find a good barbecue sauce, like Bone Suckin’ Sauce (my favorite sauces), can work equally as well.
BUT — we’re going to take it up a notch!
Just heat a jar of your favorite barbecue sauce and then add More Than Gourmet Demi-Glace.
Whisk well until all the ingredients are blended together. It’s ready to serve or store for a few days in the refrigerator.
It’s easy and quick with very little preparation.
The demi glace adds a really nice rich, complex flavor whether the base barbecue sauce comes from a bottle or if you make your own.