Braised Red Cabbage
We hold with the French of Alsace: they prepare their famed sweet and sour braised cabbage with duck or goose fat.
Give it a try. It’s the perfect vegetable partner for any holiday bird and you can make it ahead and reheat it.
- 3 tbs Graisse de Canard Gold® (More Than Gourmet Duck Fat)***
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 large red cabbage, cored, quartered, and cut into ¼-inch slices.
- 1 large Granny Smith or other tart green apple, peeled,
- cored, and diced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caraway seeds, optional
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp red currant jelly
- Heat Graisse de Canard Gold® in a large casserole over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and apple, then pour in wine, vinegar, and caraway seeds, and bring to a boil. Cover pan, reduce heat, and cook gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- About half way through cooking time, remove cover, allowing liquid to partially evaporate, so cabbage is fairly dry. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in jelly and serve.