Braised Scrod with Oranges on Fennel Purée
This scrod is elegant and impressive, but simple to make. Orange-scented fish stock with a splash of dry vermouth is spooned over the meaty fillets to braise them. At the same time, the bed of sliced fennel and onions becomes tender enough to purée. The liquid is reduced, orange segments are added, and it’s ready to enjoy. Any mild, thick, firm fillet can be substituted.
- 11/2 oz Fumet de Poisson Gold® (More Than Gourmet fish stock)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 navel orange
- 11/2 lbs thickest part of Scrod fillets, blotted dry
- Flour for dredging
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs each unsalted butter and estra virgin olive oil
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, quartered, cored, and thinly
- sliced (reserve fronds for garnish)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ cup dry Vermouth
- 2 tsp green peppercorns in brine, drained and crushed
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- Dissolve Fumet de Poisson Gold® in the orange juice over low heat.
- With a sharp paring knife, remove peel and pith from orange. Remove segments by slicing along the membranes on both sides. Set aside in a bowl.
- Dust scrod on skinned side with flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbs of the butter and 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil in a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Lightly brown fish on floured side. Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining oil, the fennel seeds and onion. Sauté briefly until lightly browned.
- Stir in the vermouth, peppercorns, and fennel, and boil until liquid evaporates.
- Return fish to pan browned side up. Pour in the orange juice and simmers until fish is almost opaque in the center, about 6-8 minutes, constantly spooning
- the liquid over it.
- Transfer fish to a plate, tent with foil, and keep warm.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer fennel, onion and seasonings to an electric blender and purée with the remaining butter until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, reduce pan juices by half and add orange segments.
- Divide fennel purée among 4 dinner plates. Place a piece of fish on top of it, add some orange segments, and spoon on sauce.
- Sprinkle on chopped fennel fronds and serve.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.