For this elegant, smooth soup, toasted almonds and broccoli are puréed together with chicken stock, a medieval method used to thicken soups.
It’s simple yet unexpectedly sophisticated with a warm hint of coriander and white pepper. Double or quadruple the recipe and make it ahead for easy entertaining.
- 1 lb broccoli, large stalks peeled, and cut into small pieces
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 oz blanched almonds, toasted
- 11/2 oz Glace de Poulet Gold® + 21/2 cup hot water to reconstitute ***
- 11/2 tsp ground coriander
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 tbs each sour cream and light cream (optional)
- Steam or microwave broccoli until completely tender. Reserve 4 small florets of cooked broccoli for garnish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté onion until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Combine broccoli, onion, and almonds in an electric blender or food processor with about half of the diluted Glace de Poulet Gold® and purée until completely smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan, stir in remaining stock, coriander, salt and pepper, and heat until hot, adding a little more water if soup is too thick.
- Combine sour and light creams. Ladle soup into heated bowls, garnish with a dollop of cream and a broccoli floret, and serve.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.