Catalan Lamb Chops with Apricots and Sage
These beautifully seasoned fork tender shoulder lamb chops are simmered in a heady sauce redolent of vermouth, apricots, sage, tomatoes and cinnamon. It was inspired by a dish from Spain’s Mediterranean coast. The aromatic combination of ingredients harkens back to the Moorish culture that imparted many lush flavors to the international stew pot. Serve the chops on a bed of wide noodles or mashed potatoes.
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil ***
- 4–6 shoulder lamb chops, about ¾˝, fat trimmed, blotted dry flour for dredging salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ cup dry Vermouth
- ¾ oz Glace d'Agneau Gold® (Lamb Stock)*** + 2 cup hot water
- ¾ cup diced canned tomatoes
- 6 fresh sage leaves or 1 tsp dried sage leaves + 4 leaves to garnish (optional)
- 1 large sprig rosemary
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 oz soft dried apricots, diced + 4 Apricot Halves to
- Garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over high heat until very hot. Dredge the chops in flour, patting to remove any excess, then brown them on both sides. Remove to a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onion and sauté until golden brown. Stir in the garlic, then pour in the vermouth, stirring up all browned cooking bits.
- Dilute Glace d’Agneau Gold® in water and stir into the skillet. Add the tomatoes, 6 sage leaves, the rosemary, cinnamon and diced apricots.
- Return meat to the pan, cover tightly and cook until the meat is almost falling off the bones, about 11/2 hours.
- If necessary, boil the sauce on top of the stove to reduce it to the proper consistency. Serve each chop with a generous amount of sauce, garnished with an apricot half and a sage leaf.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.