Creamy Crab Soup
Here’s a dandy delicious creamy crab soup recipe from one of our partners The Crab Place for the best tasting crab meat.
We also noticed a great substitution using one of our popularly suggested products.
The recipe calls for 4 cups vegetable stock – we suggest using Vegetable stock by More Than Gourmet.
You can order the crab and the stock quickly and easily by going to the highlighted links above or in the recipe below.
photo by Olya Sanakoev
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cup diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 cups canned diced potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Vegetable stock by More Than Gourmet
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ pound
- The Crab Place
- Backfin Crab Meat
- ¼ pound
- The Crab Place Claw meat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of: Nutmeg to make it more elegant or CrabPlace.com Seafood seasoning to make it more rustic
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion. Cook until soft, about 7 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Add the tomatoes, potatoes, broth, and cream, and simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup and the crabmeat to a standing blender and puree it thoroughly. (Be very careful when blending hot liquids in a standing blender, do not fill the blender more than halfway, and cover the lid with a towel. The heat will push the lid off and you will be wearing crab soup instead of enjoying it.)
- Return the soup to the pot and the remaining butter. Boil it for 10 minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper, and add a pinch of nutmeg or CrabPlace.com Seafood Seasoning. Serve immediately with crackers.