Curried Lamb Shanks over Red Lentils
Braised lamb shanks are wonderfully succulent and versatile, as this mildly-spicy curry dish shows.
If you like, once the shanks are tender, cut the meat in chunks off the bone.
Serve the meat over red lentils simmered in diluted Glace d’Agneau Gold and mixed with a little butter and some dried currants.
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil ***
- 4 lamb shanks, blotted dry salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tbs curry paste, mild, medium or hot
- 1½ oz Glace d'Agneau Gold® (Lamb Stock)*** + 4 cup hot water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ¾ cup coconut milk (optional)
- 2 tbs thinly sliced scallions, to garnish
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a heavy deep casserole large enough to hold the shanks in a single layer. Brown the shanks on all sides, then remove
- and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining oil and when hot, add the celery and onion and cook until wilted and lightly colored.
- Stir in the curry paste, cook for 1 minute, then add the dissolved Glace d’Agneau Gold® dissolved in water, stirring up all the browned cooking bits.
- Return the shanks to the pot. Add enough water to almost cover them and simmer until very tender, about 11/2 hours.
- Remove the shanks and reduce the liquid by half. Stir in the coconut milk, taste to adjust seasonings, and serve over red lentils garnished with scallions.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.