Hazelnut Crusted Potato Balls
Graisse de Canard Gold adds a special touch – a delicate flavor – to these festive potato balls. You can make them ahead and keep them warm in a slow oven.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Japanese Bread Crumbs (Panko) or fine white bread crumbs
- ¾ cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 1 lb baking potatoes, peeled, boiled, and mashed until smooth and cooled
- 2 tbs flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- pinch grated nutmeg
- Graisse de Canard Gold®, for frying***
- Place seasoned flour and beaten eggs in shallow dishes.
- Combine bread crumbs and hazelnuts in a third bowl.
- Add parsley to potatoes and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Roll into 1-inch balls. Dip each ball into flour, then egg, and finally into the bread crumbs-hazelnut mixture, setting them on a cake rack while finishing the remaining balls.
- Pour Graisse de Canard Gold® into a nonstick skillet to a depth of ½-inch.
- Heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add potato balls, a few at a time, to hot fat and fry until rich golden brown, turning to color on all sides.
- Remove, blot on paper towels, and serve or keep warm in a slow oven.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.