Hearty Onion Soup
For an onion soup that lingers in your mind long after the last spoonful is gone…
… try this creamy blend of caramelized onions that’s puréed with Riesling wine and a dash of sherry, along with the robust flavor of Jus de Poulet Lié Gold. Gruyère croutons are a contemporary interpretation of the typical (and often too heavy) cheese topping.
- 5 tbs unsalted butter
- 21/2 lbs red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cu[ Alsatian Riesling Wine
- 11/2 oz Jus de Poulet Lié Gold® ***
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup medium sherry salt and White pepper to taste
- 8–12 Thin Slices Narrow French Bread, lightly toasted
- 1 clove garlic, split
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil ***
- 3–4 oz Gruyère Cheese, finely shredded
- Melt 4 tbs of the butter in a large casserole.
- Add 2 lbs of onions and sauté over medium-high heat until soft and richly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir and scrape bottom of pan often.
- While onions are cooking, sauté remaining onions slowly in a separate pan with 1 tbs of butter until soft and golden brown.
- Stir wine and Jus de Poulet Lié Gold® in casserole and bring to a boil, stirring up all browned bits.
- Scrape mixture into an electric blender and purée until smooth. Return to large casserole, add water, sherry, salt and pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining sautéed onions and keep soup warm over medium-low heat.
- Rub bread with garlic and brush with extra virgin olive oil. Place them on a cookie sheet, sprinkle on cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted and lightly brown. Ladle soup into heated bowls, add 2 croutons, and serve at once.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.