Lamb Shanks with a Chipotle Beer Sauce
This delicious mealtime treat offers fork-tender lamb shanks cooked with a sauce of Guinness beer, chipotle chili and tomatoes.
Serve over a generous helping of smashed potatoes and a side of steamed spinach. You can make the lamb shanks well ahead of time or the day before and refrigerate to meld the flavors.
This is one dish that tastes even better when reheated.
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, blotted dry
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 12 oz. bottle Guinness Beer ***
- 3 tbs chipotle chile sauce (available at most supermarkets in the Hispanic section)
- 11/2 oz. Demi-Glace Gold®***
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 tbs each ground cumin and chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy casserole over high heat.
- Brown shanks on all sides, then remove to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add onion and sauté until golden brown.
- In a mixing bowl stir beer, chipotle chile sauce, and Demi-Glace Gold® together until blended.
- Pour over onions, stirring up all browned bits. Add tomatoes, cumin and chili
- Return lamb to pot, cover and cool until lamb is tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. (If serving at a later time, refrigerate. Before step 7 remove excess surface fat before reheating)
- Remove from oven, skim off any surface fat, and serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.