Leek, Potato & Mussel Soup
Leek and potato soup is a classic in the realm of comfort soup. Add mussels to the simmering soup along with some Veggie-Glace Gold and it moves from simply superb to sublime simplicity. We like the mussels served in their shells. Remove them if you prefer.
- 5 large leeks, well washed
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 lb baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 11/2 oz Veggie-Glace Gold® (More Than gourmet veggie demi-glace) diluted in 3 cups hot water***
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 tbs fresh chervil, minced or 2 tsp dried chervil
- Thinly slice white and pale green parts of leeks. You should have about 4 cups.
- Thinly slice 1 cup of the remaining green part of the leek and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large casserole over medium heat. Add leeks, cover, and sweat over medium-low heat until tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and diluted Veggie-Glace Gold®. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to an electric blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
- Return to pot, stir in milk, and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium, add mussels, salt and pepper, reserved sliced leek, and chervil.
- Cook until mussels open. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Ladle into warmed wide soup bowls. Discard any mussels that do not open.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.