Lemon Asparagus Barley Soup
This is a satisfying variation on the Greek lemon chicken soup avgolemono. It’s easily made for vegetarians. The sunny colors will remind you of spring – just when young asparagus begin to come to market. Try it with blanched sugar snap peas or tiny broccoli florets, as well. But, don’t add the vegetables far in advance because the acidic lemon juice will turn the vibrant green to a less appealing color. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- ¼–1/3 lb tender, thin asparagus, trimmed and cleaned
- 2 tbs usalted butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 11/2 cups onions, minced
- 1.5 oz Veggie-Stock Gold® (More Than Gourmet vegetable stock) diluted in 3 cups hot water***
- 11/2 cups barley, cooked
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 to 11/2 tbs flat-leaf parsley, minced
- Steam or boil asparagus until crisp-tender. Drain, shock in cold water to stop cooking, blot dry on paper towels, and chop into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until wilted 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in diluted Veggie-Stock Gold® and barley, and bring mixture to a boil. Beat eggs and lemon juice together in a bowl until smooth.
- Slowly whisk about 11/2 cups of hot stock into the egg-lemon mixture, beating constantly.
- Stir warmed egg mixture into the soup. Return asparagus to soup. Season with pepper and add salt, if desired.
- Heat gently but do not let liquid boil. Serve at once.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.