Mediterranean Fish Soup with Quick Aïoli
One taste of this saffron-scented fish soup is all it takes to transport you to the coastal ports of the Mediterranean. A little French bread to soak up the rich flavors of saffron, garlic, and tomato combined with seafood stock and wine is a gourmet’s delight.
- 3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil***
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tbs finely chopped garlic + 2 large cloves garlic, blanched and blotted dry
- ½ tsp saffron threads***
- 11/2 oz Glace de Fruits de Mer Gold® (More Than Gourmet lobster/seafood stock)***
- 4 cup hot water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 lb boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup chopped flat-Leaf parsley + a few leaves to garnish
- 2 lb firm white-fleshed fish cut in 1-inch chunks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup high quality prepared mayonnaise
- 8 thin slices French baguette, lightly toasted
- Heat 2 tbs of the olive oil in a deep casserole over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until wilted then stir in garlic.
- Add ½ of the saffron to diluted Glace de Fruits de Mer Gold® in 4 cups hot water, and pour into casserole along with white wine.
- Stir in tomato paste and thyme leaves. Bring mixture to a boil, then adjust heat to medium.
- Add potato cubes, and cook until almost tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and fish, and cook until fish is opaque, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Prepare aïoli: Dissolve remaining saffron in 1 tbs of the hot stock.
- Combine blanched garlic, dissolved saffron and broth, and remaining 1 tbs of olive oil in an electric blender, and purée until smooth. Add mayonnaise and salt to taste.
- Ladle soup into large, flat bowls. Add 2 toasts to each bowl and top each with a spoonful of aïoli. Pass remaining sauce at table. Serve at once.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.