Muhummara -Walnut-Garlic Spread
In the United States we are still discovering many of the wonderful and unusual combinations of spices and foods from the Middle East.
Walnuts and garlic may seem to be an unlikely combination but we assure you this is one of the most delicious we have found.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs***
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil***
- 2 tsp pomegranate sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or more if desired
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place red bell peppers over an open flame such as a grill, gas burning stovetop or under a broiler to char. Be sure to turn the peppers so that they cook and char on all sides.
- Remove the peppers from the heat and place in a plastic bag for 10 minutes. Remove the peppers and slip the charred skin off under cool running water. Remove any remaining stem from the peppers.
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor except for the extra virgin olive oil. Begin to pulse the ingredients and slowly add the olive oil while blending. Continue to blend until smooth.
- Remove the mixture to a bowl or container and cover. Refrigerate for two hours or more. If serving as a dip consider making an indentation in the center of the of dip and adding a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. If using as a spread it can be served with various grilled meats and lamb, kabobs, grilled fish, or to enjoy with pita bread.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.