Oven-Barbequed Chuck Steak
Longing for the good taste of barbecue in the dead of winter? Well long no more.
This is a delicious, inexpensive, and easy dish to make – what’s more you can do the long, slow-cooking days ahead of time.
It is the combination of one of our favorite barbecue sauces and Demi-Glace Gold that makes this meal so finger-lickin’ good.
All you need is some corn bread and a salad and this meal’s on the table.
- 11/2 oz Demi-Glace Gold®***
- 1 c. Grumpy’s Barbecue Sauce (Your choice of bold, not so bold, or XX)***
- 1 tbs vegetable oil***
- 2 lb chuck steak, very well trimmed and patted dry
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz fresh crimini, small portobello, or other mushrooms, wiped, trimmed, and sliced
- 4 tbs chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Combine Demi-Glace Gold® with barbecue sauce and heat in a small pan until Demi-Glace Gold® is melted. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy, oven-proof casserole over high heat until hot. Add steak and brown on one side, about 3 minutes, then turn and cook second side until brown.
- Drain off all fat, then season with salt and a generous amount of pepper.
- Pour barbecue sauce over meat, add onion, cover tightly with foil or a lid, and cook for 21/2 hours.
- Uncover, add mushrooms, and baste meat. Continue cooking until meat is fork-tender and sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes, basting occasionally.
- Remove meat from casserole, let stand for a few minutes, then slice across the grain. Taste to adjust seasonings, return slices to sauce, then
- serve with cilantro drizzled on top.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.