Portuguese-Style Chicken and Sausage in Saffron Rice
Chicken and rice translates into a savory one-dish meal in many countries.
This version was inspired by a Portuguese woman living in Paris. In place of chorizo used in the original, we use turkey kielbasa. The choice is yours.
Cooking rice in rich, saffron-scented broth adds color and flavor to this not-so-basic yet homey dish.
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 3 to 31/2 lb. chicken, quartered and patted dry
- 3 cup coarsely chopped onions
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp Crushed saffron threads***
- 1 oz Fond de Poulet Gold® (white chicken stock) + 21/2 cup hot water***
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 8 oz turkey kielbasa, cut into ½-inch slices
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, defrosted
- Heat oil in a large casserole over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken, skin side down, and cook until skin is lightly browned, 3–4
- minutes. Turn and cook second side until browned.
- Stir in onions and sauté until just starting to brown, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Dissolve saffron in diluted Fond de Poulet Gold®. Stir rice into casserole and let it cook for a minute.
- Pour diluted stock into pan. Add kielbasa, raise the heat, and bring
- liquid to a boil.
- Cover pan, adjust heat down so liquid simmers, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, check to see that there is enough liquid. Stir in parsley and peas, and cook until
- chicken is thoroughly cooked and very tender.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.