Red Beans and Rice
Yummy, Yummy, it doesn’t get much better than this!
Red beans and rice is as good vegetarian style as it is with sausage or chicken, or combined although my favorite is sausage, chicken and shrimp. I love the combination of flavors. This is another great way to use up leftover chicken.
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil***
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ¾ cup fresh celery, chopped
- ½ cup fresh green pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp Tabasco
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 4 fresh Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 21/4 cup Veggie-Glace Gold® Stock (roasted vegetable stock) (11/2 oz. dissolved in 2 cup boiling water)
- or (Fond de Poulet Gold® (white chicken stock may also be used)
- 30 oz Kidney beans (precooked, canned is fine)
- 1 cup converted rice
- ⅓ cup green onion, chopped
- Sauté onion and in olive oil briefly. Add celery and green pepper and cook until tender.
- Add garlic, Tabasco, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, black pepper, white pepper, then add tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add Veggie-Glace Gold® stock, beans, salt to taste, and stir.
- Bring to a simmer, then stir in rice and green onion.
- Return to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook 20 minutes, then remove from heat, and leave covered for 5 minutes and serve.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.