Sicilian Tomato Pesto Fish Sauce with Spaghetti
Heady aromas emanate from this satisfying, rustic one-dish pasta meal.
White fish filets are brushed with sun-dried tomato pesto and simmer over an aromatic wine-scented fish stock. You can use any flaky white fish to make this Southern Italian inspired dish with the addition of spaghetti, olives, capers, and fresh basil.
Add grated Parmigiano Reggiano if you like. (We do.) For leftovers just toss at room temperature with a little more oil and cheese.
- ¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, 1 whole, 3 minced
- ¼ cup grated imported parmesan cheese + additional cheese to sprinkle on finished dish
- salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 4+ tbs extra virgin olive oil***
- 11/2 cup finely chopped onion, carrot, and celery
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 11/2 lbs whitefish filets, skin and pin bones removed
- 11/2 oz Fumet de Poisson Gold® (More Than Gourmet fish stock) + 2 cups hot water***
- 1 lb thick spaghetti
- ½ cup oil-cured black olives
- ¼ cup capers packed in salt, rinsed and patted dry
- 11/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Combine tomatoes and their oil, 1 clove garlic, Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp black pepper in an electric blender and purée until almost smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, deep sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, carrot, celery and remaining garlic and cook until very soft, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in wine and cook over high heat until almost evaporated.
- Season fish liberally with salt and pepper. Lay filets over vegetables, spread tomato pesto over them,
- Pour diluted Fumet de Poisson Gold® into the pan and gently simmer until fish easily flakes, about 20 minutes, breaking it into small pieces with a fork.
- While fish simmers, cook spaghetti in a large pot of salted water until al dente, then drain, and return to pot.
- Pour fish sauce over pasta. Add olives, capers, and basil, and stir to blend. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Serve with additional cheese, if desired.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.