Thai Scallops & Spinach over Rice
Thai food has taken off with phenomenal success in recent years. Chef’s recognized that many of these one dish main courses of Asian cuisine have opened up new ways to express their culinary skills. Courses like this give way to attractive platting ideas and creativity with ingredients as well as adding new tastes to the American palate.
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 11/2 oz Glace de Fruits de Mer Gold® (More Than Gourmet lobster/seafood stock)***
- 2 tbs Thai fish sauce (available in most gourmet or larger supermarkets in the Asian food section)
- 1 tbs peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 lb large sea scallops, cleaned if necessary, blotted dry
- 7 oz baby spinach leaves, washed, stemmed, and cut into strips
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 scallions, including green parts, finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeño chili, seeded and minced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups Cooked rice (we suggest japonica, mahogany, basmati, or other
- flavorful rice, heated)
- toasted coconut shreds, to garnish, optional
- In a bowl combine coconut milk, Glace de Fruits de Mer Gold®, and fish sauce.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until almost smoking.
- Add scallops in a single layer and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 1 minute. Turn and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add spinach, stir a couple of times, then pour in coconut mixture, and bring to a boil.
- Add lime juice, scallions, chili, and pepper. Taste to adjust flavors and turn off heat.
- Place a ½ cup (125ml) of mounded rice in the center of 4 wide soup plates. Divide scallops and spinach among plates, drizzle on coconut, and serve.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.