Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
Although often made with a ham bone, this version of split pea soup is so hearty and heart healthy you won’t miss the meat.
Serve with thick slices of rustic bread.
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 each medium carrot, celery, parsnip, and onion, finely chopped
- ½ lb green split peas, rinsed and picked over
- 1.5 oz Veggie-Stock Gold® (More Than Gourmet vegetable stock)***
- 4 cup hot water
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Stir in vegetables and sauté until softened, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas, the diluted stock, thyme, bay leaf, and salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat so liquid is simmering.
- Cook until peas are very tender, about 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
- Remove bay leaf. Transfer mixture to a food processor and pulse until almost smooth.
- Return to pot and heat until hot, adding more water, if necessary. Soup should be rather thick.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.