Wild Mushroom Risotto
In Italy food is recognized not only for its daily nourishment but for the daily comfort and pleasure it brings to a family meal.
This is an elegant version of an Italian comfort food.
It combines risotto, mushrooms, a rich meat stock and a few well-placed accents of earthy white truffle oil.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil ***
- 11/2 cups finely chopped onion
- ¾ lb fresh mixed wild mushrooms, such as shiitakes, portobellos, and crimini, sliced. A wild forest blend of 4oz dried mushrooms may be substituted. Re-hydrate according to package instructions ***
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 3 oz Glace de Viande Gold® ***
- 6 cups water, heated or substitute equal amounts of strained liquid from re-hydrating dried mushrooms. ***
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbs white truffle oil ***
- Heat oil in a medium size casserole. Add onions and sauté until lightly browned.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes
- add rice and stir to coat with oil. Pour in wine and bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat and, stirring often.
- add heated stock by one cup at a time until rice has nearly absorbed all of the liquid before adding the next cup. Continue to stir each cup added for about 20 minutes total time.
- Stir in salt, pepper, cheese, and parsley. Rice should be al dente, but risotto should have a creamy consistency. Add a little more liquid if too dry. Remove from heat and drizzle with white truffle oil. Divide among warmed plated and serve immediately.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.