Winter Vegetable Stew Dijonnaise
Dijon is known the world over as the mustard capital of France.
To make this hearty vegetarian main course, we’ve combined a rainbow of vegetables simmered in a rich Veggie-Glace Gold broth.
It has then been scented with plenty of Dijon mustard and thickened. Serve it over brown rice, barley, bulgur and tofu cubes.
- 2 tbs each unsalted butter and extra virgin olive oil***
- 12 oz baby carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 zucchini, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 12 oz onions, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 12 oz small white mushrooms, wiped and trimmed
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 11/2 oz Veggie-Glace Gold® (More Than Gourmet veggie demi-glace) diluted in 2 cups hot water***
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 4 tbs Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs fresh dill, chopped or 1 tbs dried dill
- 1 package frozen petite peas chopped toasted pecans for garnish, optional
- Heat butter and oil in a large casserole over medium heat.
- Add carrots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add zucchini, cauliflower, onions, and mushrooms and continue cooking until they begin to wilt, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour in wine and bring liquid to a boil. After 1 minute, stir in diluted Veggie-Glace Gold®, cover, adjust heat so liquid barely simmers, and cook until vegetables are almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Blend half-and-half with mustard, and stir it along with the salt, pepper, and dill into vegetable mixture. 5. Continue cooking gently for about 5 minutes longer.
- With a ladle, remove ½ cup liquid and stir cornstarch into it. Return liquid to casserole and cook just until stew has thickened.
- Taste to adjust seasonings, including mustard, then stir in peas and serve with chopped pecans, if desired.
***These items are all available through the Club Sauce Website Store if they cannot be found at your local gourmet shop.